I like to try new things, and I've been a little repulsed by what I've read about processed foods in Eat This, Not That, so I joined The Community Food Co-Op of Utah. Once a month I order what I want, and this morning was my first experience with picking up my food. Our drop site is in Clearfield, about 7 miles from my house. A "standard share" is $23, and this is what I got:
2 lb. chicken breasts
3 lbs. beef back ribs
5 lbs. potatoes
1 head cauliflower
4 locally grown zucchini
2 bunches locally grown green onions
5 pears
2 lb. cherries
8 apricots
1 pkg. cherry tomatoes
1 loaf artisan wheat bread
16 z. brown rice
I am definitely showing up early next time because I had to wait about 50 minutes in line--no fun in the July sun. I think it was a pretty good deal, but to make it worth my time I think I will order 2 shares next time, or a standard share and a half share. These types of co-ops are all about working for a common good, so they ask that you do at least 2 hours of community service each month--which can be helping on distribution days or just in your community or church. Not a bad trade off!
From what I could tell, there weren't a bunch of Birkenstock-wearing, bra-burning, environmentalist types there today, but I'm still feelin' groovy about the whole experience. It feels good, but I won't be attending any protests or rallies anytime soon!
I am going to look into this. My sister does something like this, but it's produce only.
ReplyDeleteYou should read Linda Sue Parks, The Mulberry Project. Sustainable farming is a big issue in it. Also if you could ever bring yourself to finishing Prodigal Summer.
Are YOU Barbara Kingsolver? Next time, take "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle" along to read while you wait in line. I need to follow your lead on this one.
ReplyDeleteI still have all your books and will get them to you soon--I don't plan to steal them, I promise.